Sunday, March 13, 2011

DPHP 9 - A.I. = Attenuated Intelligence



Yep. Pong. Seriously, why wouldn't you?  The hard part?  Faking being human, and failing like a real human.  I mean, I could do the MONOCRON thing and have it tell time our just count up in increments, but wheres the fun in that?  No, I wanted some AI's that would play against each other, relatively evenly matched.  Apparently it's the sign of a good AI if it can play itself and stay relatively matched.  Bonus points if it manages to use different tactics and still score very close.  But anyways, evenly matched AI's are mostly likely to just volley endlessly, which isn't very sporting, or interesting, or technically challenging, or going to sound impressive in programming circles, etc etc. 

The breakthrough came when I included some 'random tiring' where one of the AI's would reduce in skill over time.  Theoretically, this could lead to an interesting situation where a paddle would 'negatively follow' the ball and move in the opposite direction, but hasn't happened yet.  I will worship the day that it does though, especially if both paddles manage to go negative at the same time.

Also, Pacman sprites fit on my display.  Neat.  I wish more of the Megaman sprites fit.

2 comments:

  1. Great work - I've been missing these updates!

    How is the physical portion of the helmet coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far far too slowly mate. I'm hoping that when I run out of YouTube videos to comment on, I will have accomplished enough to provide material for a post. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete